America has seen another tragic incident where a madman has stolen legal weapons, forced his way into an elementary school and murdered 28 people, 20 of them small children. That he took his own life is of little consolation, having saved the state the effort.
As expected, the gun used now receives all blame as all across America, gun-hating politicians once again push for another “Assault Weapons Ban” as the previous such ban expired in 2004. That such a ban did nothing to prevent such murderous events is completely ignored.
Politicians imposed an “Assault Weapons Ban” in September 1994 with a 10 year sunshine clause, allowing it to expire in September 2004. During the time of that ban, we saw the following happen,
1) 11/15/95 – Lynnville, Tn School shooting. 2 Dead, 1 injured, .22-calibre Remington Viper semi-automatic rifle
2) 2/2/96 – Moses Lake, Wa School shooting. 3 dead, 1 injured, .30-30 caliber rifle, .357 caliber pistol, .25 caliber pistol
3) 2/19/97 – Bethel, Ak School shooting. 2 dead, 2 injured, Mossberg 500 12-gauge shotgun
4) 10/1/97 – Pearl, Ms School shooting. 2 dead, 7 injured. Marlin Model 336 .30-30-caliber rifle, knife
5) 12/1/97 – West Paducah, Ky School shooting. 3 dead, 5 injured. .22 caliber long rifle, 12 gauge pump-action shotgun, Ruger MK II .22-caliber pistol
6)4/24/98 – Edinboro, Pa School shooting. 1 dead, 3 injured. .25 caliber pistol
7) 5/21/98 – Springfield, Or School shooting. 4 killed, 24 injured. 9 mm Glock 19 pistol, sawed-off .22LR Ruger 10/22 rifle, .22LR Ruger MK II pistol
8) 4/20/99 – Columbine, Co School shooting. 15 dead, 21 injured. Intratec TEC-DC9, Hi-Point 995 Carbine, Savage 67H pump-action shotgun, Stevens 311D double barreled sawed-off shotgun, 99 explosives, 4 knives
9) 5/20/99 – Conyers, Ga School shooting. 0 dead, 6 injured. .22 caliber long rifle and a .357-caliber revolver
10) 11/2/99 – Honolulu, Hi Office Shooting. 7 dead, 0 injured. Glock 17
11) 12/26/00 – Wakefield, Ma Office Shooting. 7 dead, 0 injured. AK-47 variant, 12-gauge Winchester 1300 shotgun, .32 caliber Retolaza pistol
12) 3/5/01 – Santee, Ca School Shooting. 2 dead, 13 injured. Arminius .22 caliber long-barreled revolver
13) 3/22/01 El Cajon, Ca School Shooting. 0 dead, 5 injured. Weapon unknown
14) 1/16/02 Grundy, Va College Shooting. 3 dead, 3 injured. .380 ACP semi-automatic handgun
15) 4/14/03 New Orleans, La School Shooting. 1 dead, 3 injured AK-47, semi-automatic pistol
15 mass shootings while so-called “Assault Weapons” were banned, 13 of them in our schools and this does not include thousands of other murders committed by other means.
Here in Washington State, we see a new push to ban “Semi-Automatic” Weapons by 3 gun-hating Democrats, spewing such rhetoric as “If they’re used in the army, used in the war — that’s what this ban is about,” by Ralph Fascitelli, the board president of Washington Ceasefire.
Fascitelli seems to be echoing a similar uninformed sentence uttered by Barack Obama in the second presidential debate this past October where in the midst of one of his extensive answers he stated, “weapons that were designed for soldiers in war theaters don’t belong on our streets.”
Apparently, neither realizes that unless obtained illegally, stolen or procured on the black market, such weapons ARE NOT ON OUR STREETS! Why? Because they are ALREADY BANNED! Citizens cannot legally obtain the same weapons used by our Military, those are fully automatic, meaning as long as the trigger is held down, they continue to fire until you empty the magazine.
What citizens are able to have is a semi-automatic that LOOKS similar, but will only fire once for each pull on the trigger. They function no different than any hunting rifle.
Referring back to the 15 incidents during the previous Assault Weapons Ban, you’ll notice that in the majority, the weapon used would not fall under such a ban.
What we see is the usual knee-jerk reaction of people with an unfounded fear or hatred of guns, always seeking to disarm innocent people and not realizing that since criminals already ignore all laws, there is no reason to expect they will heed a new one. They will just see more easy targets.
In the examples given above, in at least 2 the shooters were stopped and held for Police by others who also were armed. Pearl, Mississippi saw the vice-principal retrieve a gun from his truck and hold the shooter as he was heading off to another school to do more harm. The Appalachian Law School shooter was apprehended by 3 students, at two that were armed.
But gun-haters oppose training and arming qualified personnel in schools. They falsely believe do so places school children in more harm instead of protecting them.
To that I can only answer, if training and arming qualified school staff will not protect school children, then how does arming secret service agents protect Barack Obama’s children, who have armed body guards wherever they go? And they are not necessarily armed with single shot weapons, but fully automatic weapons in some cases.
Are his children somehow more important than yours?
We would do far better addressing the mental health of people than disarming innocent citizens and leaving them easy prey to whatever criminal element roams our towns.
It is time we turned our focus to where the problem really lies, mental health and not the NRA who teaches and advocates gun safety.
See also Reality Clark County Tools for Teachers